This month I have a very satisfying finish to share… I finally knocked out my second-oldest WIP! In April of 2010, Jen and I signed up to participate in the Jaybird Quilts Hexagon quilt-a-long. Jen finished hers, but mine languished.
I think part of the reason I didn’t finish it quickly is that I don’t like samplers. Controversial, I know, and something I took a long time to realize, but while I loved each of Julie’s hexagon shapes, I just didn’t like them together. When I saw this photo on flickr, I knew I had my layout. I got out the pieces a few months ago and finished the quilt top right before we moved.
This quilt was NOT easy…
…but it makes a great impact…
… and, most importantly, my little sister loved it!
A closeup of one of my favorite stars:
I had another (smaller) finish this weekend. A really long time ago, Amy ordered some kits for HMQG from Quilts for Kids. We finished a ton of them really quickly and sent them back but, for some reason, two got (kind of) forgotten. Amy asked me if I would ship the last finished quilt and one (sad and lonely) unfinished kit back to Quilts for Kids. I felt really bad about sending an unfinished kit, especially after having it for so long, so I told Amy I would whip it up.
I bought a new machine this weekend and was itching to test it out. But I didn’t want to use it on any existing projects (I never mix machines!) so I decided to try my new Singer 185K on this quick, satisfying project.
It pieced together really quickly and my 185k sews a delightful 1/4″ seam! When it came to the quilting, I wanted to stick to my vintage machines, so I decided to practice my free-motion quilting on my Singer 301A. Turns out, I still need a lot more practice!
No closeup of the quilting for you today, but I think it will make someone really happy!
So what are you waiting for? Link to your January finish below!
This month’s prize:
- Quilt in a Day Small Flying Geese Ruler (love this thing! it makes perfect geese for your swoon quilts)
- Random fabric scraps from my stash
- Blog about your finished project or post a picture of it to flickr
- Link up to your project here
- Any project you finished this month is eligible, but please link to only one blog post/flickr picture (it’s okay if you blogged about multiple finishes, we love that!)
- Entries for this giveaway will be open until Monday, February 6 at noon
- The dedicated folks who enter all 12 times will be entered to win a grand prize next January!