This is a long post about a quilt that truly only came about thanks to Instagram and my fun friends there.
110 weeks ago I posted a gender neutral fabric bundle and asked for suggestions for a suitable pattern. Michonne suggested Christina’s Retro Flowers Pattern and Katy immediately agreed.
I was a little intimidated of the curved piecing, so I immediately ran to Joann to see if I could find a drunkard’s path ruler.
They didn’t have one and, in my excitement, I came home with an apple core ruler instead and immediately cut up a Sherbet Pips Charm Pack.
If you have more common sense than I did at the time you may be thinking to yourself that with a drunkard’s path block you sew one curve and then revert to straight lines, whereas an apple core quilt just becomes an unmanageable mess of undulating and never ending curves, so why practice the easier one with the harder?
And you would be right.
As soon as I started piecing I realized that I had created a monster for myself, but not only did I move forward – I decided to make the piece larger.
In order to do that, I tried to purchase an additional charm pack from Amanda, who didn’t have one in stock and instead sent me one from her stash! So now not only had I been challenged by two IG friends, I’d basically stolen fabric from another. I had to finish this quilt and it had to be super cute.
I made it as big as I could with the two charm packs, added a couple of borders (which I never do) using white and the extra charm pack pieces, made a super cute backing and then I debated how to quilt it.
I actually started quilting it, but it didn’t quite seem right so it sat basted for two years.
I pulled it out recently thinking I was halfway done with the quilting. When I realized that I had only done one line half the length of the quilt, I emailed Pam and asked her to longarm it.
Guys, I will never let something linger when instead it could be longarmed! Having this quilt done is the best!
Pam quilted it with a pink, variegated Aurifil thread. We chose hook flowers in the apple core section…
… and feathers, scallops and loops in the various borders.
Instead of sitting in the to-be-quilted pile, this is now in the to-be-enjoyed pile!
Thanks to my friends for the encouragement and inspiration!
Linking to Finish it Up Friday!